Right
 
Home
Cities Of Delhi
Rulers Of Delhi
Monument Of 1857
Lesser Known Monuments
Lost Monuments Of Delhi
Photo Gallery
Old Videos Of Delhi
Law Of Monuments
 
 
CITIES OF DELHI      
       
Indraprasth (Indrapat) 3100 B. C.
Indraprasth is one of the ancient cities of the Hindus. According to great epic of Hindus “The Mahabharta”, the Pandavas demanded five villages i.e. Indrapat, Panipat, Sonipat, Baghpat and Tilpat from the Kaurvas as a substitute of the throne of Hastinapur. Instead of that they were given the forest by the name of Khandva (Khandavprastha) where they built the city of Indraprastha (meaning city of Lord Indra) on the banks of river Yamuna. Presently there are no historical remains of the city of Indraprastha. But there was a village by the name of Indrapat at Purana Quila (old fort) which was shifted by the Britishers to construct Lutyen’s New Delhi.
 
Lal Kot 1060 A.D.
Lal Kot 1060 A.D. (Lal Kot means Red Fort): After the Mahabharat period the city Delhi was ruled by different rulers. In between Swaroop dutt, a lieutenant of king of Kannauj also built a city in the name of his king “Dhillu”. However, in the year 736 AD Hindu ruler Anangpal Tomar - I re-founded this city. As per the inscription on the iron pillar “Anangpal -II built Delhi (Lal Kot) in1052 AD”. Anangpal Tomar - II had also constructed 27 Hindu Temples within Lal Kot where later Qutub (Minar) Complex was constructed.
 
Rai Pithora 1180 A.D.
Rai PithoraRai Pithora 1180 A.D. :- Prithvi Raj Chauhan between 1180 to 1186 AD extended the area of Lal Kot by four miles and called as Quila Rai Pithora as his capital because Prithvi Raj Chauhan was titled as “Rai Pithora”. The palace of Prithvi Raj Chauhan was within this fort. Only three out of thirteen gates of this city are still remaining along with its boundary walls.
 
Siri : 1303 A.D.
Rai PithoraSiri : Allauddin Khilji in the year of 1303 A.D. constructed his separate capital about 2.5 miles north-east of Lal Kot and named it as ‘Siri’ which was situated near the present day’s village Shahpur Jat. It was Allauddin Khilji who built a huge water tank called “Hauz-e-Alai” or “Hauz Khas” (means “the main - water tank”) for supply of water to the city “Siri”. At the time of construction of Siri there were only two cities i.e. Rai Pithora and Kilokhari, on the western side of river Yamuna.
 
Tughlaqabad 1321 A.D.
TughlaqabadGiyasuddin Tughlaq (Ghazi Malik) constructed this city on the hills during 1321-1323 surrounded by hills.  The area of Tughlaqabad city was about four miles and 56 palaces, 52 doors, 7 water storage tanks and 3 baolis (Stepwells). There is one Sher Mandal on height in this fort from which the entire fort can be seen. It is amazing that this huge fort was constructed in the short period of three years. Giyasuddin Tughlaq could not, however, enjoy this fort as he expired in 1325 AD. The tomb of Giyasuddin Tuglaq in also opposite to this Tuglaqabad fort.
 
Jahanpanha 1327 AD
TughlaqabadAs there was dense population between two earlier cities Raipithora and Siri including the villages Hauz-rani, Khidaki and Tuti Sarai which were required to be protected from Mewatis and Mughals robbers hence Mohammad Tuglaq, in 1327 AD fortified these two cities and named it “Jahapanha” which means shelter for entire world. This capital was having total thirteen (13) gates of which none of them remains.
 
Firozabad 1354 AD
TughlaqabadAs Mohammad Tughlaq was not having any child hence his nephew Firozshah Tuglaq became the king in the year 1351 AD and ruled till 1388 AD. Firozshah Tuglaq constructed his new city “Firozabad” on the bank of Yamuna in 1354 AD. As Firozshah was interested in hunting hence he constructed two Hunting Boxs as Kushak-e-shikar, is near Bada Hindu Rao Hospital (also known as Pir Gaib) and another is at Teen Murti Bhawan (known as Kushak Mahal).  During
his regime about 7 big mosques were constructed in Delhi. This city Firozabad was double in area of Shahajanbad, built later. In his palace, Firozshah built two interesting buildings Jami Masjid and column of Ashoka.
 
Deenpanah 1533 AD
TughlaqabadThe Mughal emperor Humayun started building his own capital in the area of Indrapat.  He constructed a new fort here and named it “Deenpanah” meaning the “refuge of the world”. There is another view that the old fort (Deenpanah) was constructed by King Anangpal in 440 Vikram Samvat which was called as Indrapat, it was only renovated by Humayun. But the majority view is that the old fort was built by Humayun in 1533. There are three main gates in this fort northern known as Talaqi Darwaja, western gate in known as Sadar Darwaja.
 
Sher Garh (City of Sher Shah) 1541 AD
TughlaqabadSher Shah took over the throne of Delhi by removing Humayun and converted the Humayun’s Deenpanah into “Sher Garh” or “Delhi Sher Shahi”. He also added major buildings in old fort like Sher Mandal, Qila-e-Kuhna Masjid and also contributed to major highways like G.T. Road. Humayun, however, took the throne back in 1555 after the death of Sher Shah and restored Mughal Empire in Delhi.  Presently only two gates of this city of sher Shah are left, one is now known as Khuni Darwaja (Kabuli Darwaza of Sher Garh) and other is known as Lal Darwaja, opposite to the old fort.
 
Shahjahanabad 1648 AD
Tughlaqabad Shahjahanabad is a walled city constructed by Mughal emperor Shahjahan between 1638 to 1648.   The palace of this city is known as Red Fort or Lal Quila which is on the western Bank of river Yamuna.  This walled city was having 14 gates and 14 windows out of which only 4 gates are left now namely Kashmere Gate, Ajmeri Gate, Turkman Gate and Delhi Gate. The outer wall of this city was repaired by British in 1828. Shahjahanabad is a bow shaped city and also having the famous Chandni Chawk Bazar Kunchas, Katras, Galies and Havelies.
 
Lutyen’s New Delhi  
TughlaqabadThe British Government in the year 1911 shifted their capital from Calcutta to Delhi.  On this occasion, the King and Queen of Britain arrived at Delhi and for the purpose of coronation of King George V, the Delhi Darbar 1911 was organized and the foundation stone of New Delhi was laid by King Georg V. However, due to the First World War the construction of New Delhi was mainly started in 1919-20 and was completed in 1930-31. All necessary buildings for the purpose of than, British Government like Vice-Regal lodge (Rashtrapati Bhawan), Secretariat (North & South Block), Legislative Council (Sansad Bhawan), War Memorial Arch (India Gate) were constructed in New Delhi.
 
 
   Home  |    About Us  |  Feedback  |    Contact Us   
        All Right Reserved 2011-2012 By : Virasat the heritage